Monday, June 24, 2013

The Shopping Cart Battle with Memorized Conversation

The Supermarket Shopping Cart Scene. Describe the cart being used. Is there any defect? Observe oncoming and side shoppers' carts. Any problems? Are theirs the same as mine? Does the wheel skid? Locked tight? A mind of its own? Refuses to turn into the aisle that I prefer. A cart that make strange sounds.

Inside Costco, as Garrett is pushing the shopping cart, I begin talking to him about how I had gotten to receive a monthly Social Security disability income. This was in 1999 after "living my life in a cult." At this moment, the shopping cart wheels start to squeak. Garrett makes a comment. I laugh. The shopping cart wheels are tight. Garrett makes a comment. I look at him and the shopping cart wheels, then continue my "life in a cult" talk---

Sheri: I'm living on Social Security disability income until I become famous, which would be after selling a spec script or when the press and public take notice of a published book. 

Garrett: Why did you start receiving Social Security? 

Sheri: Long story.

Garrett: There is time. We are in Costco. 

Sheri: Okay. Are you sure?

Garrett: Yes. 

Sheri: I suffered from a serious brain disorder known as schizophrenia. This happened towards the end of 1996.

Garrett: Schizophrenia? 

Sheri: Yeah. 

Garrett: What month in the year 1996?

Sheri: The ending of September, but could possibly be sometime in October. Especially on Halloween. 

Garrett: How did you get that? 

Sheri: What?

Garrett: Schizophrenia.

Sheri: This illness altered my thinking patterns while I was working as an accounting assistant at Eizo Nanao Technologies in Cypress. 

Garrett: Where is Cypress?

Sheri: Southern California.

Garrett: This shopping cart has a mind of its own. Schizophrenia. Go on, I'm listening. Continue.

Sheri: The shopping cart has schizophrenia? 

Garrett: The wheels are hard to turn. Not in the direction I want to turn them. The shopping cart. See?

Sheri: Oh, okay. You're right. The shopping cart and I have something in common. A mind of its own.   

Garrett: What is the rest of your story?

Sheri: In a nut shell?

Garrett: Yes.

Sheri: I truly believed that my boss and co-workers were in a conspiracy with my past church roommates and a brother, also in church, who I knew for almost two years. I thought they were planning to control my personal life by forcing me to be with this brother and eventually move us to New Jersey because his parents lived in Connecticut. Not being able to handle this delusional situation, I left California and moved to Oahu in November 1996. I hoped that my mind would start to think normal thoughts since I was back home. Unfortunately it did not and for the first time in my life I wasn't able to find an office job, so I decided to try print journalism. It's a very complicated and weird story. Are you still with me?

Garrett: Yes. I'm still with you and so is this shopping cart.

Sheri: Schizophrenia. 

Garrett: Did you like this church brother?

Sheri: Maybe, at first...Then, I don't know. Just because I like a guy doesn't mean that he likes me back in return. Sometimes, unfortunately, the feelings are not mutual. I wasn't a very disciplined person and don't even know how I had gotten myself into such a horrible mess as I had, per say, the church sisters,  needed to see a shrink. 

Garrett: A psychologist. 

Sheri: Right, at first. Specifically in 1996. After that, it has been a psychiatrist.

Garrett: Why?

Sheri: Social Security.

Garrett: Why would Social Security want you to see a psychiatrist?

Sheri: To approve my monthly income. The medications make the case look stronger.

Garrett: Did it help you? Taking the medications.

Sheri: No. I got a bad rash breakout. Really bad. Till this day, there is a scar on my thigh; although, it has slightly faded.

Garrett: Ouch. Are you still taking them, you know, the medications?

Sheri: No. I'm doing okay without the meds. I have been taking a daily multi-vitamin instead.      

Garrett and I are standing in the checkout line at counter number five. The shopping cart wheels are slightly turned to the left position. 

Sheri: Play along. You are the church brother. I like you, but you don't like me. So I accept and move on to live my own life without bothering you. Is that okay? 

Garrett: Understandable. And the same thing goes with me. I might like you, but you may not like me...for whatever reasons.

Sheri: So am I considered to be normal? 

Garrett: Yes.

Sheri: Oh, thank God.

Garrett pushes the shopping cart forward to the checkout "counter five." The wheels are tight, squeaking. Hard to push. The cart's wheels automatically turns slightly to the left. A mind of its own.      

   

       



No comments:

Post a Comment